Searching for internal IDE DVD RW Burner - is it that hard?

buel 20:44 28 Jul 14

Hi,

I am trying to buy a IDE DVD burner for my friend's desktop PC as his only burns DVD- DVDs, I have two questions: 1. Is this unusual that it will only burn DVD-? 2. I have tried Amazon but dont seem to have a wide a choice as I expected. Am I missing something here, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:01 28 Jul 14

his only burns DVD- DVDs?

not sure what you mean

here will do everything except BlueRay

lotvic 21:03 28 Jul 14

Yes you are missing giving us all the info.

'only burns DVD- DVDs' what does it not burn? (CD's ?) and what happens when it fails to burn? any error messages? etc

alanrwood 21:10 28 Jul 14

He means it only burns DVD disks which are of the type DVD- (not DVD+) ie DVD-R or DVD-RW.

OP How do you know it only burns DVD-. That would be very unusual indeed.

bumpkin 21:49 28 Jul 14

Sounds like a software issue to me if what you have stated is correct. A new one is cheap enough as per FruitBats link.

buel 21:58 28 Jul 14

Hi,

Sorry for not replying sooner or being clearer. I had got it wrong - the burner would not 'see' DVD- but would see DVD+ and burn CDs fine.

The front says 'DVD+ReWritable', if that helps?

Thank you for the link!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 28 Jul 14

Must be a really old one all DVd writers now do + and -.

alanrwood 09:05 29 Jul 14

That is a really really old drive. Dump it and get a new one as they are cheap enough nowadays, around £12 at a local computer fair if there is one near you.

beeuuem 14:44 29 Jul 14

buel I don't think you missing anything. IDE (PATA) DVD-RW drives are not so easy to find these days. This was a factor in my upgrading my PC when one of my DVD drives failed recently.

rdave13 15:25 29 Jul 14
  mole1944 15:32 29 Jul 14

Not hard but very easy to get what you want,how. Get an ordinary drive the get a ide to sata bi-directional adapter from Amazonthere said it was easy didn't i.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017