Searchindexer.exe. Turning it off. Thrashing.

mooly 17:26 14 Nov 08

Have been trying to find out why I get so much disc thrashing -- we are talking an hour at a time most days -- just constant 100% HDD activity. The system sometimes crawls along ( Vista HP ). This has been much worse the last week or two.
I found searchindexer.exe was always showing in "resource monitor" so have disabled it in "services".
All the disc thrashing does appear to have stopped. Just an occasional "blink" from the HDD light, before it was lit constantly as I say for an hour or more. When it would finally stop as soon as for example I went on line, it started again-- just churning away.
What will I notice different leaving it like this ? I read somewhere of one instance where searchindexer got stuck in a loop and constantly tried to keep reindexing stuff.
I know this has been one of the main moans with Vista but this was getting critical, it was just freezing things up.

Technotiger 17:36 14 Nov 08

It won't do any harm to leave Indexing off.

Technotiger 17:37 14 Nov 08

PS - you probably won't notice anything.

Graham. 17:50 14 Nov 08

Nero dumps 'nmindexingservices' on local services, too. Pull the plug on that.

mooly 18:05 14 Nov 08

Thanks for the speedy replies.
Technotiger, If it really is that simple -- unbelievable. All that constant thrashing.

Graham, I don't use Nero, kept the NTI stuff that came with PC - thanks.

mooly 13:16 29 Nov 08

Thought I better update this one. I missed the instant search a bit so re enabled it a day or two back. Guess what ?? No thrashing !! Maybe it really was stuck in a loop or something. The HDD light goes out about a minute after the desktop fully appears. Searchindexer.exe is not there much in resource monitor either now -- just as it should be I would guess.
Quite a few litle triumphs in recent days.

Technotiger 13:19 29 Nov 08

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5