Search Window keeps appearing

ventanas 16:21 01 Apr 08

and won't go away, no matter how many times I close it, it keeps coming back. I have discovered that if I press any of the media keys on my wireless keyboard it cures it, until the next reboot.

Could there be a fault with the keyboard that is causing it to send out an erroneous signal to the system, resulting in this nuisance? If so it's strange that a media key cures it. Grateful for any ideas.

Using Vista Home Premium.

rawprawn 17:46 01 Apr 08

Hi John
Have you tried stopping the search service then rebooting starting it again. I don't know this is a cure but it is a thought

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 01 Apr 08

According to Microsoft, this behavior can occur when you open the Edit File Type dialog box for the Drive or File Folder registered file types.

Open a command prompt and typing the following:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

press enter, close command prompt.

or

Microsoft acknowledges that this is a problem in Knowledge Base article #321379 and offers the following fix:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
If this problem occurs with drives:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.

ventanas 21:41 01 Apr 08

Thanks for the replies, but I'm now certain it's the keyboard. When it played up tonight I tried the shortcut key (F2) for Excel, and Outlook opened - five times, although Word was fine. Pressed a media key, tried again and up came Excel, and it's been fine since.
Will replace it tomorrow- another 50 quid.

ventanas 21:09 04 Apr 08

OK, sorted it now. There was also another problem which I didn't relate to this one. At the start of booting I got a brief message about some media failure, then something about the Broadcom 10/100 and then the boot menu, for one OS. Pressing Return took me into Vista. I have got rid of the Logitech LX710 and replace it the MX5000. All problems gone.Some keyboard/mouse as well, even got a little display with my name on it (in case I forget) And I can Bluetooth from my mobile

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…