Search and System Restore

Astrid 19:23 08 May 09

I run Windows XP SP3 and have been having System Restore and Search problems, i.e. I'm unable to access either of these. It began today when I found problems with connecting and that I could only get online if I did a system restore, which I did and it was successful. Now I can get online ok, but I'm unable to access either System Restore or Search and when I try the Windows Update web site it comes up a blank. I've more than enough space on my hard disk and sufficient memory. I've checked my registry with CCleaner and there are still a few problems that don't get fixed. I've scheduled for my computer to go in for a clean install but meanwhile am still wondering if there's anything I can try myself?

woodchip 19:26 08 May 09

Go to run, type

SFC /SCANNOW then press enter

john bunyan 19:28 08 May 09

Run Superantispyware and Malawarebites in safe mode to check your disc for trojans etc.If you dont have them you can download free versions. Also do a scan with your anti virus software.

woodchip 19:35 08 May 09

I think CCleaner as made these as they do no show, I do not use it as t removed things on mine in the past. I now use and have used for some time Cleanup on default settings

click here

Astrid 16:14 09 May 09

Thanks for previous advice. I've tried all things so far but not much progress except I can now access Search in Safe Mode. However, I've now no way of accessing System Restore or Help and Support, both are blank. I can do most other things as usual: get online, run anti-virus and all other programs. So now I have four options:

1) Forget about System Restore as I've good backup with Acronis on D:\, and carry on regardless without Help and Support.
2) Continue to try to fix the System Restore and Help and Support by asking around...
3) Send in to have a clean install done at a reasonable cost.
4) Ask a technician whether he can restore the lost programs without doing a clean install - shouldn't this be possible?

brundle 16:26 09 May 09

See #235 here; click here

Ensure the Help and Support and "System Restore" services are actually running - start menu/run, type

services.msc

press return.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 09 May 09

Start>> Run. Type in:

regsvr32 /i %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.d­ll
[Enter] or Click OK

-OR-

regsvr32 jscript.dll
[Enter] or Click OK

If the above did not return Search functionality, then try the following.

Method 2: (Have your Windows XP CD Available)

1. Logon as Administrator.

2. Go to Start>> Run. Type in:
%systemroot%\inf
[Enter] or Click OK.

3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file by going to; Start>> Control Panel>> C:/>> Windows>> INF Folder>> srchasst file.

4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install. This reinstalls the Search Companion files.

Note: When you're prompted for the system files, insert your Windows XP CD.

Astrid 18:35 09 May 09

Thank you for suggestions. The first thing I've tried: services.msg produced the following message:

! Internet Explorer Script Error: An error has occurred on this script page.

When I tried to close, everything had frozen and there were multiple copies of the message, one on top of another, so I had no choice but to press the restart button.

I'll try the other suggestions, but it's getting a bit weird now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now