Search Loop in Internet Explorer

Martlet 21:00 30 Nov 03

Using WinXP with SP1, I am having trouble using Internet Explorer since, I believe, looking at a Spam email in Outlook Express.
The result is that as soon as I load IE, it appears to get stuck in a loop trying to access a sight I have never visited. Any attempt to type a URL, or access other sights directly by using the program that would normaly open them is overridden by this loop.
I have looked at my Internet settings in Control Panel, and my Home Page has not changed. I have tried 'System Restore' but with no success, and am now at a loss on the way ahead.
Memory usage gradually rises as the process runs out of control until I close IE, which often requires using 'End Process' in Task Manager.
I am now using Netscape to access the net, but many of my programs only open web pages with IE.
Does anyone have any idea how I can overcome this?

VoG II 21:07 30 Nov 03

You may have picked up some spyware (I'm assuming that you have up to date anti virus).

Try Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

If they don't work, CWShredder click here

Martlet 22:24 30 Nov 03

VoG,
Thanks for the suggestions, but having tried all of them now, I still have the problem.

VoG II 22:28 30 Nov 03

Try a repair of IE click here

Martlet 23:04 30 Nov 03

VoG,
Got as far as repairing IE, but I seem to now have a file or setting missing. All I get is 'Cannot find server'

VoG II 23:10 30 Nov 03

Have a search for a file called HOSTS (no file extension). If you find one rename it to HOSTS.OLD and try running IE again.

Martlet 23:16 30 Nov 03

VgG,
Still no luck. HOSTS renamed, but still 'Cannot find server'

VoG II 23:19 30 Nov 03

(a) reboot and try again

(b) System Restore

Martlet 23:22 30 Nov 03

VoG, OK will try again before I have to get to bed. Many thanks for your help. Martlet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…