Search by file size

emmandelo1 11:57 06 Nov 09

Hi, I have a few thousand photo's on my computer, all jpeg. They are in various folders sorted by date and or events. I have noticed that I have a fair few duplicates for some reason. They all have different file names and different creation dates as a lot of them have been scanned in from prints or slides. Is there a program available anywhere that will let me do a search based just on file size rather than name etc. so I can find the duplicate photos?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 06 Nov 09

Built into Vista search click here see bottom of page

emmandelo1 15:25 06 Nov 09

Sorry, I should have said, I have XP

gigagiggles 04:21 07 Nov 09

from voidtools.com, everything search engine.

no thumbnails. double clicking on file will open with default program.

configurable. sortable.

worked great matching recovered deleted files with what was backed up, by file size.

emmandelo1 15:20 07 Nov 09

Thanks gigagiggles, I had a look at that but you can only search by file or folder name. I need something that will find duplicate files based on size only in a particular folder or group of folders.

Batch 17:54 07 Nov 09

If you use the Search facility from within Windows Explorer, you can search by size.

Alternatively, if you go into the Search facility and don't specify any search critera, it will return everything. You can then sort by size by clicking on the Size column heading (suggest you have the View option set to Details for this).

wiz-king 18:10 07 Nov 09

Try click here you can try it before you buy.
Well worth the money.

gigagiggles 21:09 07 Nov 09

tsk, tsk, emmandelo.

i have not steered you wrong. have you tried searching for .jpg by just typing in .jpg in the search box? .jpg is part of the filename. and you can confine your search within select drives that contain said jpg files as well as exclude folders within select drives.

i was able to match recovered deleted files with gobbledygook filenames.jpg created by the recovery program with backed up jpg files by searching for the file extension and then sorting by file size.

I am Spartacus 21:12 07 Nov 09

I use Easy Duplicate Finder click here

You have the option to set various criteria although the default settings are pretty good.

emmandelo1 12:28 14 Nov 09

Thank you I am Spartacus. That's just what i was looking for. I'll mark this as resolved now. cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac