'Search' facility not working

barnacarry 15:55 24 May 03

My 'Search' program for files and folders has suddenly stopped working. Any file or extension that I type in and press enter, just sits there and stares back at me. I know this is not earth-shattering but it is starting to SEVERELY annoy me.

beeuuem 16:20 24 May 03

Which O/S?

Gaz 25 17:07 24 May 03

Sounds like XP.

Try a repair, you will not lose files, just all your XP settings, like backgrounds, sounds, but you could do files and settings transfer wizard on to a CD or floppy and run all your settings back in again.

Start the operating system from the CD-ROM,

When the computer starts from the CD, the system checks your hardware and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press ENTER.

Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.

A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the system prompts you to select one of the following options:

To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

Press R to start the automatic repair process. After repairing Windows XP, you need to download the updates again.

beeuuem 17:28 24 May 03

If it is XP it might be worth running 'sfc /scannow' just in case it is a system file that is corrupted/missing.

conrail 17:47 24 May 03

using XP:- control panel, task bar, start menu, customise, advanced, scroll down until you see search and ensure box is ticked

beeuuem 21:19 24 May 03

Search - Doesn't Work
The Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder.

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

barnacarry 18:13 25 May 03

Thanks everyone. Sorry to be late but my OS is Windows Me and I don't have the installation disk. Does this upset things?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…