search engines

vazstar 16:53 14 Feb 05

Hi. Ive managed to create a web site for the first time, but ive noticed that the counter stays roughly the same- noone seems to find the site. Even when I tried to type part of the text into a search engine, nothing was found- its as if my site doesnt exist!!! How can I make my site appear in search engines???Please help!!!

Forum Editor 17:37 14 Feb 05

and wait - the search engines will find your site automatically, and provided it satisfies certain criteria it will be indexed. Even then you may not find that your hit counter moves - people don't visit web sites unless they have a reason.

That reason may be because your site has interesting content, or because it covers a subject that other sites don't. It's exactly the same principle as when you are looking for say, a restaurant. You'll choose the one which looks appealing, or which has been recommended by a friends, or by a newspaper or magazine article. People very rarely just stumble upon a web site by chance - they go there because they've heard about it, or because they've seen a link on some other site......or because it has come near the top in a search engine listing. That brings us back to where we started - make your site attractive and interesting, and make sure it works properly - check it thoroughly for errors and navigation malfunctions etc.

Then sit back and wait, but be prepared to wait for quite a while. A large proportion of all the web sites on the internet get very few visitors, and that's because quite frankly they have little or nothing to offer by way of content.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…