Search Engine Submission

mac_gyver 10:54 08 Nov 04

Whats the quickest way to add a site to search engines? I don't want to have to wait ages for my site to be crawled before its added.

Also, I have previously added several sites but when you search for them in Google (and other engines) all that is returned is the URL and no title or description. I'm puzzled because I have added meta tags etc.
One such site is click here

Thanks for your help

gell 10:59 08 Nov 04

Meta tags are not likely to work anymore.Very few sites use them.
I don't know the answer. I have three sites and none of them ever appear on Google despite registering

PC Eye 00:52 10 Nov 04

DMOZ is a voluntary organisation whose editors manually view, check and edit the sites submitted. By submitting your URL to the appropriate category at click here, either the category editor or an editor with greater privilages will take a look at the site and attach an appropriate description.

As DMOZ is one of the few human edited, reliable sources for search engines, it is well respected and used by many of the major search engines. Google also places value on the <title> tag in conjunction with your primary keywords placed within the body of your site.

For example, if your site was click here and your main keywords were "cheap hotels skegness", it would be prudent to make your title something like "Cheap hotels Skegness - Fair View Palace Hotel", limiting the length of the title to less than 10 words.

The site's body text needs a spattering of keywords, but be careful not to overdo things - they may be computer spiders checking out your site, but they know a con when they see it. Careful use of the keywords in the first paragraph and throughout the body will improve your results.

Finally, the spiders tend to crawl over your site about once a month, so you'll need to be patient. Clicking on the "cached" link associated with your web page on Google will tell you when the site was last spidered.

This is, of course, by no means the definitive answer, but will help to improve your rankings with Google and many of the other SE heavy-weights.

Best of luck - PC Eye

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…