Search Engine Page Detection

bazo 13:40 03 Apr 03

Hi everyone:

I have built a site using word and it works OK but the Google & Lycos search engines do not pick up the home page. They pick up other pages. Try to search on sibaw, and see what you get. my site is click here

I am not too good with computer code, but if you tell me what to edit, I can do it.

Thanks Barrie

MichelleC 14:34 03 Apr 03

It took a while for the home page to load. Make sure your index.htm or html is outside the folder and in the root directory of the host.

bazo 12:03 06 Apr 03

Thanks Michelle, I did that but it still does not pick up the correct page

Taran 12:21 06 Apr 03

Well, for a start you are using frames and frames give all search engines a massive headache. There are some pretty strange naming conventions going on in there as well, but that is down to your editing software, not you.

For example, your main page is called Personal Web Page.htm

Spaces and capital letters are to be avoided whenever possible when naming web pages. To be honest, aside from the contact information on your main homepage which is important, the search engines are actually doing what they are supposed to by including those pages that offer specific services, features, goods and similar.

Your homepage is introductory, but does not directly offer your services - the other pages that the search engines have spidered do that.

There are a couple of ways of trying to alter this, but if your site has been indexed, any changes will be slow in the making and will possibly be far more work than they are worth.

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now