search companion fault in xp

alha 12:30 07 Jun 04

I am unable to open 'Search' from the Start Menu. The system hangs and eventually frees itself without opening the search facility. (All other Start Menu progs and functions work fine.)
However I can open Searh Companion from any folder or from IE so I am at a loss to know what link I have probably deleted or moved by accidental fiddling.
I have xp Home and am experiencing no other obvious problems.
Any ideas please. Cheers

Curio 14:27 07 Jun 04

I think your first step is to carry out a System file check for any corrupt files.
Start Run Type sfc /scannow, click Enter
Place your OS Disk in the PC first and when auto run brings up the options, Exit it but leave the disk in the Drive.
SFC will be carried out with a progress bar but will give you no results.
Then try again with search

spikeychris 14:42 07 Jun 04

If SFC fails then...

Do you use TweakUI? if so, run it and go to the Desktop settings and put the check mark back in Search Results.

If you don't have TweakUI installed, copy and paste the following lines into a Notepad file and save the file with an REG extension. Make sure to add a blank line at the end of the file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Deskt op\NameSpace\{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}] @="Search Results Folder"

Double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt.

Have you used easy cleaner? if so click here This script will not correct issues that are accompanied by an error message. What it does is repair the search option, help and Support will not open, there is no error message, just a brief change of the mouse cursor to an hourglass.

Curio 16:13 07 Jun 04

I have just lifted this out of PCA July edition page 146. It could answer the question.
Check Your Windows Explorer folder options to ensure that 'Show hidden files' is selected. Next expand the Windows folder, select the Inf subfolder and locate the file named srchasst.inf.
right-click it and select install. This will reinstall the Windows XP Search Assistant, which usually fixes a non-working Search facility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…