Seagate Warranty Returns in Practice

Newuser939 18:47 PM 29 Nov 13

I have a Seagate external hard drive which has failed after about four years and was very pleased when Seagate confirmed that it was still under warranty. I arranged a returns number, but then noticed Seagate's requirements for packaging the faulty drive. Those include putting it in a ESD bag and securing it in 2 inch thick foam rubber. As I do not have the original packaging after four years, that is not all that practical. Does anyone have any practical experience which might help please. After all, as prices of discs have come down, there is a limit to what is worthwhile.

wiz-king 19:17 PM 29 Nov 13

I don't think they are being unreasonable. When you buy a new one it comes in protective packaging and as they will want to examine you old one they wont want it in good packaging so that it doesn't get damaged in transit.

alanrwood 19:44 PM 29 Nov 13

If you don't use an anti static bag then it could be damaged in transit by simply being moved .

Physical damage to a hard drive is also possible unless it is well protected from shock damage.

In fact they are protecting your interests by ensuring that it gets to them safely and without further damage which could result in a rejection of your warranty claim.

If it is not worth the trouble then so be it. That is down to your assessment.

LastChip 12:18 PM 30 Nov 13

Find a sturdy oversized box, wrap the drive in an anti-static bag and then surround the drive on all sides with plenty of bubble wrap and make sure when you place it in the box, it can't move around.

OEM drives are now supplied in this manner, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've always found Seagate to be perfectly reasonable about warranty claims, so I doubt they'd give you any grief.

As long as you've taken all reasonable steps to protect the drive, I don't see it as a problem at all.

bumpkin 13:40 PM 30 Nov 13

wiz-king "as they will want to examine you old one they wont want it in good packaging so that it doesn't get damaged in transit."

A paper bag should do in that case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…