Is Seagate Momentus XT HDD worth putting in this desktop PC?

Batch 12:50 PM 11 Oct 11

HDD on my desktop PC (Hitachi Deskstar 160GB Sata with 8GB cache) is failing, have switched to an old 80GB IDE for time being. So looking at a new HDD.

Two possibilities come to mind:

Something like a Samsung 1TB F3 7200rpm 32MB cache for around £40 or a Seagate Momentus XT 250GB (ample GB for me) 7200rpm 32MB with a 4GB NAND persistent read cache for about £72.

The Samsung would be an improvement on my old Hitachi anyhow. But am wondering if the Seagate would be worth a punt (bearing in mind that the PC is a 3.2GHz P4, 800MHz FSB, 533Mhz DDR2), or whether the extra performance of this drive would be wasted on such a PC? Allied to this is whether the Seagate disk (which is a 2.5 inch form factor) is inherently inferior (performance wise) to a 3.5 inch form factor drive?

gengiscant 09:07 AM 12 Oct 11

Use the F3, but may I suggest that having only one drive is asking for trouble if you have everything in the one place. Better a couple of 500GB with the second drive backing up the first.

Batch 13:56 PM 12 Oct 11

Thanks gengiscant. I'd pretty much already come to that conclusion (in fact have opted for the 500GB F3, for about £33 as it is more than enough for my needs).

No worries on the B/U front. I'm a belt and braces kind of guy (aka paranoia). Have 2 external HDDs for B/Us (one kept in a firesafe), plus key data replicated on pen drives (including one in the boot of my car). Oh, did I mention about the paranoia?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…