Seagate GoFlex Portable Hard Drive Failure

sousieanne 17:23 PM 24 Nov 12

I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 2.0, 500GB portable hard drive which suddenly stopped working while I was using it. The power's on and it's recognised in the USB slot (the light on the drive is illuminated) but it isn't recognised as a drive in Windows Explorer. (am using Windows 7). It shows up in Device Manager but not in Disk Management.

Any help on how I can try to retrieve the documents and photographs stored on this device?

Graphicool1 18:13 PM 24 Nov 12

Open Win 7's 'Control Panel' click the icon for 'Devices and Printers'. See if it's showing in there. I had a problem a few weeks back, when Win 7's 'My Computer' wasn't showing 4 of my external hard drives. But were seen in 'Device Manager' and in 'Devices and Printers'. I had to give them new letters.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 PM 24 Nov 12

make sure in device manager show hidden devices is ticked Uninstall all instances of the drive in device manager and scan for new hardware and reinstall.

woodchip 18:36 PM 24 Nov 12

try a different USB socket

sousieanne 18:57 PM 24 Nov 12

Have tried different USB sockets and also a different PC

woodchip 19:55 PM 24 Nov 12

Try TestDisk on the drive Click Hear

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites