Seagate GoFlex Portable Hard Drive Failure

sousieanne 24 Nov 12

I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 2.0, 500GB portable hard drive which suddenly stopped working while I was using it. The power's on and it's recognised in the USB slot (the light on the drive is illuminated) but it isn't recognised as a drive in Windows Explorer. (am using Windows 7). It shows up in Device Manager but not in Disk Management.

Any help on how I can try to retrieve the documents and photographs stored on this device?

Graphicool1 24 Nov 12

Open Win 7's 'Control Panel' click the icon for 'Devices and Printers'. See if it's showing in there. I had a problem a few weeks back, when Win 7's 'My Computer' wasn't showing 4 of my external hard drives. But were seen in 'Device Manager' and in 'Devices and Printers'. I had to give them new letters.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 24 Nov 12

make sure in device manager show hidden devices is ticked Uninstall all instances of the drive in device manager and scan for new hardware and reinstall.

woodchip 24 Nov 12

try a different USB socket

sousieanne 24 Nov 12

Have tried different USB sockets and also a different PC

woodchip 24 Nov 12

Try TestDisk on the drive Click Hear

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message