Seagate Free Agent 500gb External HD HELP!!!

Manic78 21:53 27 Jan 09

Got the "Seagate Free Agent" external HD to back images up to however...

I've just checked after 3 back ups and it's got none of my TIFF or RAW files on. All the JPEG and other file formats have gone over ok but the folders that contained both these formats just show as empty.

I just use the software provided on the HD to do a backup.

Should I format the drive so it is completely empty then just drag and drop?

lotvic 00:20 28 Jan 09

Yes, just drag and drop is the easiest way.

Suggest you make new folders to drop the other folders into, called for example, 'BackupCopy Jan09' or BackupCopy01, BackupCopy02 etc etc.
or even BackupCopy of MyDocs (you get the idea)

lotvic 00:23 28 Jan 09

I would also suggest you get a copy of Acronis True Image so that you can make an image of your main Harddrive with OS on so that in case of any disaster you can easily recover your system and docs.

Manic78 20:16 28 Jan 09

lotvic,

Thanks for the response. Bear with me here, I'm fine on cameras but pcs confuse the hell out of me!

"so that you can make an image of your main Harddrive with OS on"

How do I do that?

Thanks.

lotvic 21:32 28 Jan 09

You have a Seagate HD so you get for free 'Seagate Disc Wizard' which is actually Acronis True Image (version 10 I think)
if you did not receive it on CD with your Harddrive then you can download it from Seagate.com click here
Click on the 'Learn more' about DiscWizard to download the .pdf manual that has (with pictures) instructions on how to make a backup image (chapter 5) that amongst other things allows you to reinstall the image on a new HD if yours fails.

By using the 'Seagate Disc Wizard'/AcronisTrueImage software you will only be using your external harddrive to store the .tib file on, so it doesn't interfere with anything else and can be in addition to what you already have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017