SDRAM not showing true size

phillyw 13:36 03 Jul 05

Hi all,just fitted 256 mem module alongside 128 original,my problem is EverestHome Edition says i have correct amount fitted but Belarc Advisor says i have two sticks of 128.When i checked Control Panel>System>General my PC is showing only 256 mb also.Does anyone know what is causing this,cheers.

jimv7 14:06 03 Jul 05

Swop them around, try them 1 at a time your mobo might not like the configuration the way it is, the two sticks might not like each other, 1 might be faulty.

phillyw 14:17 03 Jul 05

Thanks jimv7, i'll try your suggestion and see what happens.

jack 14:53 03 Jul 05

Are you sure that the two are compatable in spec?
,Also in some caes wich goes in to 0 slot is critical.
Downloading the RAM checker prog from Crucible may give you a clue.
As jimv7 says try swapping around - byut takes careful nots of what is going on.

DieSse 16:13 03 Jul 05

Your motherboard does not support "single sided" or "high density" RAM, in all probability.

There are two types of SDRAM - high and low density. Earlier motherboards to not supply enough address lines to talk to the full complement of RAM - so typically, only half shows.

Intel BX/LX/TX based motherboards are the mian culprits. You cannot change that with the motherboard, you need to get low density RAM. Go back to your supplier, and explain the problem, and ask for an exchange (which typically will cost a little extra, BTW - as it's an older stlye of RAM).

phillyw 17:41 03 Jul 05

Thanks all for suggestions. I'll tick resolved and take it back to supplier for an exchange,cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…