SDRAM DIMM 168pin memory upgrade

acowgal 16:54 02 Jun 07

My PC runs on a MS-6378 m/b (Manual says Version 3.1).
Manual states that memory supports 1GB but I have tried to upgrade with 2x512 by Kingston but although the PC shows memory accepted,Windows will not open. Error message says 'Windows exception fault, you need to restart'.

The CPU jumper is set to 100MHz and will not accept reset to 133MHz.

Does anyone know how I can do to upgrade memory?

C3 17:03 02 Jun 07

These are the Crucial.com's recommendations : click here

All memory isn't the same, so it's possible that the Kingston memory you have isn't compatible with your motherboard. Either that or the memory you bought is faulty. In which case, take it back to the place you bought it and they should test it for you.

Totally-braindead 20:13 02 Jun 07

I've only once ever had faulty memory and every other time I've had a problem is been a compatability issue, thats one of the reasons I buy Crucials memory, they do occassionally get it wrong, but very seldom but they do guarantee it will work and if there is any problem they will refund you. Some venders will not, insisting on a restocking fee or whatever, its not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Totally-braindead 20:16 02 Jun 07

Oh and the bit about the speed, if your processor only runs at a FSB of 100 then it will not run at 133.
You can install faster memory but it will not run at the faster speed it needs to run at the speed the processor can handle. If your PC is set to run at 100Mhz then I assume that is the proper speed and don't recommend you even trying the faster speed.

acowgal 22:29 02 Jun 07

About the speed.

Does this mean I should opt for PC100 SDRAM and not PC133?

Totally-braindead 10:40 03 Jun 07

It depends what is cheaper, you can quite happily run faster RAM but run it at the lower speed. It will not run at the fastest speed if your processor won't handle it.

I would buy Crucials memory and see what happens with that, some motherboards are very touchy about memory, requiring a particular latency or single sided memory chips, parity non parity etc etc.
Save any more hassle and goto Crucial.

acowgal 08:16 30 Jun 07

Thank you all for the Information.

I have now upgraded to 1mb RAM and my old computer seems faster than this new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now