SD & MMC memory cards

French Chemist 08:08 29 May 04

Not really computer but! I have just bought a digital camera and the book says I can use either SD or MMC cards up to 512MB capacity.What is the difference (except probably the price)? Which would you recommend?

Ray

French Chemist 08:10 29 May 04

Addendum, came with no card fitted just internal memory.

Ray

Falkyrn 08:53 29 May 04

click here

Basically the cards are "almost" identical although the SD cards were designed to be able to provide higher capacity.

The SD cards also have a higher transfer rate of information which is needed by some items and of course the security aspect.

Stuartli 09:09 29 May 04

The MultiMedia Card (MMC) was first on the scene and the Secure Digital (SD) followed - it can transfer data faster, is encrypted (hence the name) and you can also lock it, as with a floppy, to prevent it being overwritten.

Most SD devices such as digital cameras can also use MMC cards but it's not gospel and should be checked with the manual first.

French Chemist 14:37 29 May 04

Thanks for the replies. Because my query wasn't computer orientated I didn't do a search on site. Stupid boy!

Ray

Stuartli 14:48 29 May 04

But it IS - or would be regarded as - computer orientated...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…