SD Card size limitation

Blott 09:32 AM 07 Dec 11
Answered

I purchased an 8GB SD card for use in digital c amera, where it worked well.

However, when I put the card into the slot on my PC - nothing, not even an error message.

Experimenting has shown that PC happily reads 1GB and 2GB cards, but will not read 4GB or 8GB.

PC is 5 years old and I assume this problem is due to some limitation in the hardware.

Any advice would be welcome, especially if there is anything I can do to make the machine read the higher capacity cards.

Regards to all Blott

rdave13 09:38 AM 07 Dec 11

Most probably the cards your PC won't read are HDSD cards and your card reader won't read them. Same here!

natdoor 09:41 AM 07 Dec 11

SD cards of more than 2GB are called SDHC, or Secure Digital High Capacity. Older card readers will not accept theses cards. You have two options. You can either replace the card reader in your PC with one which reads SDHC cards or you can purchase an external SDHC card reader which will plug into your PC via USB.

rdave13 09:43 AM 07 Dec 11

Oops that should read SDHC, Amazon

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:44 AM 07 Dec 11
Answer

Your card (any over 4G) are SDHC (high capacity)

Older machines cannot read the high capacity cards

I have an old USB card reader will not raed these cards and my 2006 Medion is the same, luckily my printer is newer an has the higher capacity capability.

You could buy a USB card reader to plug in to your machine here

rdave13 09:46 AM 07 Dec 11

You can get 4GB sd cards, 4GB SD card

alB 10:01 AM 07 Dec 11

Blott, I had the same problem, got a USB card reader from Poundland for......£1.. similar to this one Card reader works fine ...alB

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites