sd card doesnt fit!

mothercranky 20:14 13 Sep 10

hi guys
i have a new hp pavilion dv6 laptop thats sposed to have a 5 in one card reader, but i cant get a standard sd card to fit in the slot? it just seems too big, i am wondering if something is missing? it just rattles about.
there is a slide out tray thing above the card reader but i cant work out what that is - cant find anything on the user guide either!

woodchip 20:43 13 Sep 10

they only go in one way round check inside slot for contacts to match memory contacts

Nontek 20:47 13 Sep 10

Make sure you are fitting the SD card in the correct way, that lappie does have a 5 in one card reader. The slot above the card reader is probably an Express Card slot - Express cards can add other functions to your laptop, click here

grey george 21:04 13 Sep 10

Are you sure it's an sd card and not a micro sd card which needs an adapter for use in this reader?

mothercranky 21:16 13 Sep 10

hi all
its a micro sd inside an adapter that makes it sd sized...

mothercranky 21:19 13 Sep 10

i have tried it all ways round but the slot just seems too big. laptops i have had before the card fits in nicely and clicks in to place. with this one when u push it in it doesnt click then wont come out without tipping the whole thing sideways......i hope im just being thick and theres not a big problem!

iscanut2 21:24 13 Sep 10

May be a stupid question but have you looked elsewhere on the laptop ( side & back ). As suggested, you may be looking at the wrong slot.

mothercranky 21:26 13 Sep 10

ha, yeh it is the right slot - above it is printed SD.MS/PRO.MMC.XD

Nontek 21:41 13 Sep 10

Carefully look at the same slot again - it is probable that the same slot is for two different cards with the top half and the bottom half of the same slot being for the two different sizes. I hope that makes sense to you.

ams4127 21:58 13 Sep 10

My laptop also has a card reader which does not accept SD cards. I had to buy an external reader for a few pounds.

Woolwell 22:25 13 Sep 10

Which model dv6?

It should accept sd cards according to the HP site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…