sd card doesnt fit!

mothercranky 20:14 13 Sep 10

hi guys
i have a new hp pavilion dv6 laptop thats sposed to have a 5 in one card reader, but i cant get a standard sd card to fit in the slot? it just seems too big, i am wondering if something is missing? it just rattles about.
there is a slide out tray thing above the card reader but i cant work out what that is - cant find anything on the user guide either!

woodchip 20:43 13 Sep 10

they only go in one way round check inside slot for contacts to match memory contacts

Nontek 20:47 13 Sep 10

Make sure you are fitting the SD card in the correct way, that lappie does have a 5 in one card reader. The slot above the card reader is probably an Express Card slot - Express cards can add other functions to your laptop, click here

grey george 21:04 13 Sep 10

Are you sure it's an sd card and not a micro sd card which needs an adapter for use in this reader?

mothercranky 21:16 13 Sep 10

hi all
its a micro sd inside an adapter that makes it sd sized...

mothercranky 21:19 13 Sep 10

i have tried it all ways round but the slot just seems too big. laptops i have had before the card fits in nicely and clicks in to place. with this one when u push it in it doesnt click then wont come out without tipping the whole thing sideways......i hope im just being thick and theres not a big problem!

iscanut 21:24 13 Sep 10

May be a stupid question but have you looked elsewhere on the laptop ( side & back ). As suggested, you may be looking at the wrong slot.

mothercranky 21:26 13 Sep 10

ha, yeh it is the right slot - above it is printed SD.MS/PRO.MMC.XD

Nontek 21:41 13 Sep 10

Carefully look at the same slot again - it is probable that the same slot is for two different cards with the top half and the bottom half of the same slot being for the two different sizes. I hope that makes sense to you.

ams4127 21:58 13 Sep 10

My laptop also has a card reader which does not accept SD cards. I had to buy an external reader for a few pounds.

Woolwell 22:25 13 Sep 10

Which model dv6?

It should accept sd cards according to the HP site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5