scsi hard drive

N-304567 16:16 14 Mar 03

i have a ibm 73gb hard drive and whould like to used it. the problem is that my motherboard has an ide interface, what do i need?

jimv7 16:44 14 Mar 03

You need a pci scsi card, adaptec 29160 or 39160, each card had an inbuilt bios for utilities ref scsi drives, and both have drivers in win 2000/xp.

There are other makes of cards but adaptec is viewed as the best.

Go to eabay auctions you can pick up 1 of these cards a lot cheaper.

A search on google for these cards will give you all the information you require.

If you do not want to use the drive

How much? :-)

mark e 18:10 14 Mar 03

Adaptec 2904 card will do the trick. its capable of connecting internal & external devices, up to 7 in total cost 39.94 from adaptec site inc vat & p&p

and thats overnight delivery too.

Diemmess 18:16 14 Mar 03

Scsi does not use the usual IDE interface.
That is where jimv7's point about a "host card" comes in.

It is usual if you have a SCSI HDD to make it the boot drive because of its (once upon a time) much faster data transfer.

In that case you have to sort the BIOS out so that the BIOS acknowledges to boot from SCSI.
Otherwise you do not need to tinker with the bios.

jimv7 18:54 14 Mar 03

It would be a waste of money to buy the adaptec 2904 card (quote:It also provides 10Mbyte/sec Fast SCSI) the drive that smilee is speaking of has at least a 160mb transfer rate, and is scsi3,
the 2904 card is not scsi 3 compliant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…