SCSI card with XP

Mike 19:23 16 May 04
Answered

I have just purchased a Medion PC MTC Type MED MT 232. with an AMD Athlon XP Processor 3200+ 400MHz FSB. Running OS XP home edition. I have a SCSI card made by DTC-PHOTRONICS Model 3510a which I use with my Iomege Zip 100 drive, in my current PC.
Can I use this card in a PCI slot in the Medion and will the OS recognise it or do I need some Drivers for the card to operate.

Secondly will my existing OS Win98se Imoega software need updating.

Mikè 19:51 16 May 04

My Promise scsi card was recognised fine so hopefully you'll be ok.

As a postscript, so you're the one who stopped me getting my username of choice lol.

Eric10 20:14 16 May 04

I've just looked up your scsi card on the Web and it appears to be an ISA card so you won't be able to fit it into a PCI slot as this is physically different. Also I doubt that your new PC will have an ISA slot as ISA is old technology and has mostly been dropped from today's machines. And then, as if it couldn't get worse, even if you could physically fit the card, drivers for ISA devices under Windows XP are very few and far between.

You could purchase a basic PCI scsi card which would be compatible with your new PC and also Windows XP and should work with your zip drive but it would probably be more cost effective to buy a USB pen-drive unless you have dozens of zip disks.

Mike 21:54 16 May 04

Thanks Eric10,

I notice it belongs in a Black Slot so as you say I now need a new Card as I only have PCI on the Median.

Need to continue with Zip so do you or anyone know the cheapest SCSI card.

Cool name Mikè.

Eric10 22:42 16 May 04
Answer

Personally I'd look on ebay.co.uk for a second hand Adaptec AHA-2940 card or similar click here. These have always been excellent cards, are perfect for what you want and can be picked up for a few pounds. Also there's no problem with drivers as they are already in Win XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…