SCSI

Mr_Nice_Guy 18:55 27 Nov 03

Hi a quick questioin about SCSI, can i get a scsi harddrive and is it faster than IDE controllers? also if i have no SCSI port what do i get? are there any pci adapters etc. that i can buy. thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 19:00 27 Nov 03

You can get a SCSI adaptor which goes into a PCI slot - SCSI hdd run at 10,000 rpm.

Newest IDE controllers are almost as fast for data transfre and many recent commentators suggest going with these new ones.

Quiller. 19:24 27 Nov 03

I agree with Diodorus Siculus, but here is some info on them.

Scsi or small computer systems interface.

" Can I get a scsi hard drive?" Yes.click here click here click here click here

" Is it faster than IDE controllers?" Do you mean IDE hard drives, then yes. They can spin up to 15,000rpm.

"are there any pci adaptors?" Yes.
click here

Hope you have a few spare shillings. :)

jimv7 20:09 27 Nov 03

Scsi can be a lot faster than ide, up to 3 times faster at 320 mb per sec 'sustained' transfer rate. and there is already rumours of up to 1,000mb per sec transfer in the near future.

The fatest ide can only manage about 150mb per sec burst speed, dropping to about 60mb per sec sustained.

As others have said, cost is much greater than ide per mb.

Another interesting point is that with most scsi you get 5years warranty or 1,000,000hours.

Mr_Nice_Guy 20:18 27 Nov 03

o, thanks all. That is pretty impressive for scsi. I was thinkiung of buying one in the future to replace my exisitng ones.

Mr_Nice_Guy 20:21 27 Nov 03

o just looked at those links bsod, the adapters cost so much, i would have never known. Might wait till later to get one, if i have the cash that is.

jimv7 20:27 27 Nov 03

Not that expensive, try ebay, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…