Scroll bar paging down and IE6

Peter-298738 16:14 22 Nov 03

I have Windows XP Home and IE6. I recently had a problem where half the short cuts disappeared from my desktop. This was after my son had been using the machine, it locked up and wouldn't close down and had to be manually switched off. I used System Restore and got the desktop back as it was before, but since then when I click on the vertical scroll bar to page down on internet sites, whatever I'm looking at goes to the end instead. Minor problem, but irritating.

I've changed the settings on the mouse so the wheel scrolls down a page at a time, but I'd like to be able to click on the scroll bar to page down. Any suggestions, please?

hugh-265156 16:19 22 Nov 03

check control panel/mouse

look for the buttons set up screen and there may be a "scrolling size" option.

set to about "3 lines" it may be set up for "page" which would cause it.

bvw in bristol 16:29 22 Nov 03

You can try pressing the mouse wheel down gently until it "clicks" and scroll in any direction by moving your mouse.

Peter-298738 17:33 22 Nov 03

"set to about "3 lines" it may be set up for "page" which would cause it."

No, I've just changed it from 3 lines to page so I can have a way of scrolling a page at a time.

"You can try pressing the mouse wheel down gently until it "clicks" and scroll in any direction by moving your mouse."

Holding the scroll bar and moving it up and down with the mouse pointer? Yes, that still works as it did before, though it's not the easiest way to move up & down a screen at a time. What I had before and can't do now is placing the cursor somewhere above or below the scroll button and clicking to move one screen per click. Handy for pages that are quite long. It's not a big deal, just a habit that's hard to change.

bvw in bristol 17:41 22 Nov 03

No, I mean keep your mouse pointer in the middle of the screen, press the mouse wheel down and the pointer changes into a star-like shape and you can just move your mouse backwards or forwards which scrolls the page up or down.

Peter-298738 17:46 22 Nov 03

Haven't seen that one before. It has the same disadvantage as holding the bar and moving it, though - the whole text moves, and it's harder to follow than if the whole thing snaps to a new screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…