script error from MS

steve263000 12:09 14 Jan 05

When I try to install a brand new MS E-Learning-Excel disc supplied with my new computer I get a message from Norton that they have found a Malicious script error and the computer was halted. In the detail box is Object File System Object, Activity GetFile then File MsiExec.exe. Recommended to stop the script. This is from the MS people, and never been used. Any ideas, and can I install it safetly?

JIM 12:40 14 Jan 05

msiexec.exe belongs to the Windows Installer Component and is used to install new programs that use Windows Installer package files (MSI). This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

JIM 12:51 14 Jan 05

if you have winxp and service pack 2 you may have the updated windows installer but if having problems with msiexec.exe have look at the following.

click here;EN-US;Q324638

JIM 12:57 14 Jan 05

forgot the change over for link.And method.

Copy paste address all as one.

steve263000 14:09 14 Jan 05

I have installed the program now, and there seems no problem. A lot of the messages seem to be about active x that could harm my computer. What is the problem with active x, as it seems to be in most programs that we use. I am regularly getting messages about it, ever since sp2 came out.

JIM 15:55 14 Jan 05

to save to much typing:) go to start help and support and enter Active x in the left search bar.Gives you a very good idea of how they opperate.One's not to accept can be controlled via setup of explorer and software recomended by forum users etc.

Best to question and check where they come from.

What you should know about running scripts and ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer
Be cautious about allowing Web sites to run scripts or ActiveX controls on your computer. While these items can enhance Web browsing, they can also be a security risk, and it’s best to avoid using them when you can. However, some Web sites or tasks might/must require them and you will have to decide whether to trust ActiveX controls that Internet Explorer blocks for your safety.

click here click here;EN;Q174360&LN=EN

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…