Screenshot shortcut key

odb 01:06 05 Oct 03

hi,

not sure if it exists but what is the key to take screenshots and have them auto save to a file? and how do i change where it saves to. or how do i make such a key shortcut?

using Windows XP home

powerless 01:13 05 Oct 03

"Prt Scr Sys Rq" key.

It stores the image in the clipboard.

Not sure about changing where it is stored or even saving it as a file.

I think a third party would be needed there.

Djohn 02:52 05 Oct 03

As Powerless says, click the "Print-screen" and the image will be saved to your clipboard. Open an application, "Word" or "Paint and from the Edit button on the tool bar, choose "Paste". You can also right click on your mouse and choose paste from there.

Now that you have your image open, click on "File" and choose "Save" or "Save as" and save it to a folder of your choice, or print it out. j.

Pesala 08:00 05 Oct 03

It is small enough to keep running always in the background, and you can setup a shortcut key to capture the screen . Whenever you press the shortcut key it will open with the captured screen or window. Then you can save it to a file.

It will remember the last used file format and directory, so if you're putting together help documentation with lots of shots of dialogue boxes it is quite handy.

I recommend saving screenshots in PNG or GIF format. JPG is not good for images containing text as it makes the text blurred.

Pesala 08:32 05 Oct 03

I just discovered there is an option to save the screenshot directly into a directory of your choice without opening the image in Irfan View.

BurrWalnut 08:45 05 Oct 03

If you hold down alt before pressing print screen you will get just the one window not the whole screen.

Chris the Ancient 13:04 05 Oct 03

A bit of a BTW comment...

I'd heard of Irfanview in the past and not given it much thought.

Having read this thread and seeing how useful it can be, I've downloaded it.

Thanks

Chris

canard 13:22 05 Oct 03

You'll be very pleased you did Chris the A.

SEASHANTY 13:26 05 Oct 03

^

AubreyS 13:29 05 Oct 03

I have some freeware to do the job. It will let you capture a part of the desktop, a selected window or the entire desktop. If you want it, email me as I can't remember where I got it from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…