Screensaver tab restarts computer when clicked

Awestruck 21:45 11 May 06

In screen properties, if I click the screen saver tab the computer restarts. Is a duff XP update causing this? Microsoft seem to know nothing about this phenomenum.

Awestruck

splatter 22:21 11 May 06

What is your current screensaver? It could be a bad screensaver if it was installed from the web.

Wait untill somebody verifies this next step before trying it:

(Based on XP)

Goto: c:\Windows\System32

Find all screensaver files. They have the extension .scr then delete the any that are 'third-pary' i.e. not part of the OS.

I tend not to use screensavers from the web as they often contain 'crap' such as spyware/ad-aware etc

DON'T DO THIS UNTILL ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER SAYS MY MEMORY SERVES CORRECT!

Awestruck 18:13 12 May 06

Hello splatter
My current screensaver is the windows Flower box. I have no imported screen savers. It is not a screen saver that is causing the problem. Clicking the Sceensaver TAB in screen properties makes the computer restart.

Awestruck

splatter 21:39 12 May 06

hmmmm,

What made me think it may be the screensaver was that windows may be restarting because of the little preview of your current screensaver when you access the aformentioned tab.

Anybody else got any ideas?

VoG II 22:09 12 May 06

This seems like a very strange problem. I suggest that we work through the obvious first. Please try the following:

Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…