screen/computor freezing

Freddy 18:48 27 May 04

This was my original posting:-
I have a Advent 3.0 Ghz intel pentium4 512DDR and Geforce 4MX440 graphics card. I am running XP.It has suddenly started to freeze after a while. The screen locks on what ever I am doing the mouse pointer still moves but I get no response from any keyboard strokes. The only way to restart is to switch it off by the on off switch. When it is restarted I do not get any message to say that it was shut down incorrectly it just starts as normal. As far as I can remember I haven`t loaded any software or made any changes when this started. The last software uploaded was Pinnicle Studio 7. I have run a virus check with Macafee and also run SpyBot all to no avail. Funny thing is I have another computor that does the same running win98 that no one could sort out which is why I bought the Advent in the first place. I did a defrag as was sugested and it been ok for a few days. The same problem has returned but this time I have noticed that when it freezez my USB hubs go off and it kills the keyboard and my broadband modem ( both lights go off)USB mouse still works though -different hub to the broad band and keyboard. Another symtom I have got is that periodically the machine beeps as if you have unplugged a USB device the in seconds beeps as if its been re connected. As far as I can see everything is still working. Any help would be appreciated
Freddy

hugh-265156 19:48 27 May 04

it could be anything.i have no idea sorry.

is windows up to date? click here

have a look in start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer and click the system and application tabs

look for errors here and click them for more info.may help.

try dowloading and installing the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset and graphics card click here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…