Screen suddenly goes blank after several minutes?

Daytona675 15:02 28 Jul 10

Hi,

My parents PC has suddenly developed a problem which I have never encountered before. The PC is one of my old ones that has run perfectly in their hands for the past two years or so. Now, when they turn it on, they log in and start doing whatever on it as normal then after several minutes the screen suddenly goes blank with the ‘No Display’ message flashing prior to the monitor going into standby mode, however the PC and all the other equipment are still working normally.

I have tried a different graphics card, monitor and lead but the end result is still the same. I thought it might be a heat problem but all the fans are working properly. I tending to think it might be a motherboard problem (Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ + Sempron 2GHz CPU). I can still get a direct replacement but before I take the ‘final’ step and replace the mobo, I was wondering if anybody has experienced a similar problem or can suggest something else that may be causing this to happen.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

recap 15:06 28 Jul 10

When you say "however the PC and all the other equipment are still working normally" have you connected another monitor to see if this is the case.

I have come across this problem before and it was the hard drive that was on its way out.

Technotiger 15:08 28 Jul 10

Could be the PSU on the way out.

onthelimit 15:12 28 Jul 10

'different graphics card, monitor and lead'

Yes, it seems so!

woodchip 20:29 28 Jul 10

As above PSU

Chris the Ancient 12:11 29 Jul 10

Had this once with a pc - but the other way round. It was hard to start and was then ok.

Try removing the graphics card, wipe the connector edge, blow any dust out of the 'socket' and give it a little wiggle when you push it back in to make sure that the connector really 'bites'.

It sounds a bit like a warming up problem with things expanding and shifting a bit as they do.

CtA

Daytona675 17:12 02 Aug 10

Hi,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. It was the PSU after all (good job, I didn't fancy replacing the motherboard!).

All the Best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos