Screen stuck in 640x480

Digital 20:13 18 Mar 05

A friend's PC has been happily running W98SE for months with the monitor on 800x600 & True Color. All of a sudden it reverts to 640x480 & 16 colours which can't be altered in Settings. Windows says the monitor is a standard one & uses default drivers. The BIOS is set to accept P&P but Windows says it can't find any P&P devices. Both monitor & adaptor are reported as working correctly. Any ideas folks?

woodchip 20:22 18 Mar 05

Yes the Win.ini as been changed by another program or hardware. Go int Windows Explorer C:\Windows\System\ look for a Win.bak or Win.old etc you can open them in Notepade to see if they are the right files. You should then rename the Win.ini.to Win.inix and change the correct file back to Win.ini

Technotiger 20:23 18 Mar 05

Hi, does your friend's pc have a graphics card or is it using on-board graphics. If it has a graphics card, try removing card then replacing card - making sure of a very good fit on mobo.

Cheers.

Technotiger 20:24 18 Mar 05

Hi woodchip - I've always said you are better at this than I am ........ :-))

Mr Mistoffelees 20:37 18 Mar 05

If the above doesn't work try reinstalling the graphics drivers.

woodchip 20:38 18 Mar 05

Well 98 is my for me the best

Digital 21:06 18 Mar 05

Thanks folks, I'll work on all those suggestions. Don't know whether it's a graphics card or on-board, I'll have a look when I go over.

Digital 20:53 21 Mar 05

Woodchip, thanks for your suggestion. I went over today & while I can find the win.ini file I can't find anything like win.old or .bak. Incidentally the file is in C:\windows, not windows\system, does this matter? In the exsisting win.ini, what should I be looking for? I think the changes are being made by a game some children are playing & we're about to use thumbscrews to find out who, what & when.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…