Screen size/resolution problem!

zigg 13:20 28 Nov 04

My son was playing various pc games today and now the pc screen has stretched out in such a way that the icons on the edge of the screen can't be seen. I've tried changing the resolution but this doesn't fix the problem. I've also tried restarting the pc and using the buttons on the monitor to adjust the screen size but nothing seems to work.I've even tried the restore function on xp but this doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
ziggy

zigg 22:55 30 Nov 04

Still experiencing the same problem. It seems to happen periodically whenever we use the computer for anything. Any advice appreciated??

zigg 23:30 30 Nov 04

Anyone know how to fix this problem.?When you are working on the pc, the screen suddenly stretches out for no reason. What could be causing this?
Ziggy

Benzo 23:40 30 Nov 04

to be honest i havent a clue, but i know how annoying it can be if noone answers your thread, it could be gfx drivers whats the card?

zigg 23:51 30 Nov 04

the card is a GeForce 4mx 460!

Djohn 23:52 30 Nov 04

Normally something like this is adjustable by altering the screen resolution which sometimes a game will alter to suit itself.

You say you've tried altering the resolution, how? Will you let us know the size of your monitors display please, 15" 17" or larger? Also is it a CRT or TFT [Flat] monitor?

zigg 23:59 30 Nov 04

Its a 19" CRT but altering the resolution from the control panel (back to 1024x768 doesn't seem to work. Don't know why the machine is doing this. Even shutting down and restarting doesn't seem to fix the problem. Sometimes it goes back to normal and then for no reason it happens again!

Grouse ® 00:00 01 Dec 04

if you are unable to cure this go to click here and install the latest Geforce driver, follow the instructions on website, you don't have to remove your old driver, just save to PC and then install................

curlylad 00:12 01 Dec 04

To check screen resolution:-

Right click free area of desktop , click properties , click settings tab , adjust slider if necessary to the previously working reolution , click apply , click OK. Also click 'Advanced'button and on the 'General' tab at the bottom there is a link 'running programs in 256-color mode' , could this be of use to you ? Also I would check the settings on the other tabs that you see after 'Advanced' button is clicked.

SANTOS7 00:13 01 Dec 04

if updating drivers don't work try if possible another monitor what ever happens you can either establish wether your monitor has gone bust or your vga card has also met its maker

curlylad 00:16 01 Dec 04

Sounds like Grouse ® has a point , it sounds suspiciously to me like a driver problem. I would do nothing else until you have checked your driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…