screen size.....help

apianglo 19:46 02 Mar 05

i`ve just reinstalled XP after a programme I uninstalled on the old OS wiped out hundreds of files,I thought this the easiest option.
However on reboot the monitor showed (XP) it to be half size,so i expanded the view so that it was full screen size, now when i want to change screen resolution the screen is to big for the monitor,and to view it I must push the curser to the edges of the creen where upon the screen moves to accommodate .....what`s going on & is there a solution

Satmansq 19:54 02 Mar 05

Perhaps if you shrink the screen on the monitor controls then adjust your settings to what you require, thenyou can use the monitor settings again to suit.

EdFrench 19:56 02 Mar 05

It is usual for the viewable screen size to change after a re-install.
You may have to change the viewable area to suit your needs for ALL of the resolutions that you use. However, this should be a one time only exercise for each case. subsequent changes should be fine.

Jaymz87 20:50 02 Mar 05

what graphics card do you have?
There are some graphics card that have drivers that allow it to have a "scrollable" desktop, so that you can have a "Virtual" resolution. So you can have a HUGE resolution, but spread out further than the screen, which you can scroll around.

I don't know which cards and drivers this applies to, but if you check your manufacturers website and get updated drivers, they should come with a config program that should have an option to turn it off.

There may also be an option in XP itself, but I have not yet come across it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…