screen size anomoly

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:52 08 Apr 04

Every now and then when I boot up I lose about an inch of my screen. At the left of the monitor screen there is just an empty black space about an inch wide, running the height of the screen.

It seems to happen at random, I never change resolution or any other screen settings and there doesn't seem to be a pattern following the last program used (apart from firefox which is always open anyway).

Anyone any idea what could cause this?

Just to clarify, I can see the entire window that is on screen it just gets squashed into the remainder of the screen.

Running windows 98se if that is relevant.

Indigo 1 23:02 08 Apr 04

What do you do to rectify this ?

Giggle n' Bits 23:04 08 Apr 04

Graphics Card or intergrated Graphics chip and monitor type ?.

could be quite a few things, Do this problem happen when in the Desktop and in applications or just on a boot up of the machine ?

Chegs ® 23:08 08 Apr 04

In your graphics card driver files there should be a cfg adjustment,it should allow you to "move" the entire screen around.Only prob with this is its not guaranteed to solve the prob as if it is offset by software,then shifts itself,the blank section could simply move to another side,etc.

It could be caused by a damaged graphics driver file,you could try removing it and reinstalling it again,see if it disappears.

Personally,if it is an occasional prob,then I would simply ignore it until it either "developed" or vanished. ;-)

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:10 08 Apr 04

Didn't explain very well:

The problem occurs no matter what is on screen; IE firefox, my docs just the desktop, everything.

I don't do anything to rectify this, at first I rebooted and it went away but my PC is very slow to boot so I try to put up with the smaller screen size.

This is only a minor irritation, but an irritation nonetheless.

I have no idea what graphics card I have, PC was bought from tiny about 5-6 years ago so probably a pretty poor one (on board i expect) and moniter just says Tiny on it no other info.

Thanks

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:31 08 Apr 04

Try holding either the 2 < > keys in at the same time or the + - keys in at the same time ,cant remember witch but one of them should set it back to factory defaults,thats if it has those buttons.

Regards.

Giggle n' Bits 23:32 08 Apr 04

440BX or what model number ?
Its most likley to be onboard graphics with a tiny of this age.

When you connect your monitor to the rear of the casing does it plug into a socket that is on the plates or is it higher up above your speaker and near the Parralel Printer port ?

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:43 08 Apr 04

model no. 810L, monitor appears to plug in next to the printer port but below speaker/mouse etc.

Have tried pressing all sorts of combinations of the buttons on the monitor but none have restored defualts (I don't have + - I hav 1 < > 2)

hugh-265156 00:20 09 Apr 04

aida32 click here (any version) should tell you the make of monitor.

just install and click "computer/summary" and scroll down to "display/monitor"

also check out the "display/video adapter" info if you have a graphics card or "motherboard/chipset" if onboard for more info.

then you may be able to do a google for your exact make of monitor on how to adjust the screen size using the buttons etc.

also from within aida,clicking on the items highlighted in the right pane will give a link for driver downloads for graphics etc may help a bit.

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:25 09 Apr 04

This is all it has about my monitor
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (10036482)

Motherboard/chipset is
Intel whitney i810

display/video adapter is
Intel(r) 810 chipset graphics driver PV 2.1

The monitor is no options for driver downloads, the other two do should i download both? Or just the video one?

TIA

hugh-265156 23:36 09 Apr 04

you could give it a try click here

sounds like you still need to find drivers for the monitor though.is there a label on the back of it with some info maybe?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…