screen shake

kenamb 11:45 18 Jan 05

hi all ,
My monitor seems to be shaking on the left hand side mainly on the desktop and internet. Games seem ok.
I have a g force mx440 @1024x 768 Xp pro 512mb memory / amd xp2400.
Any ideas.
Ps my monitor is a CTX 17" about 4 years old

scotty 12:47 18 Jan 05

Try moving the monitor to a differnt location. A common problem is a power supply (e.g. for a printer or speakers) located too close to the monitor.

kenamb 12:50 18 Jan 05

Thanks scotty but i cant move but the pc has been here for years

scotty 15:36 18 Jan 05

Only talking about moving it a few inches!

Alternatively, check for items which have recently been placed close to monitor and move them. When I experienced something similar it was caused by the power supply for a printer.

Only other suggestion is to try changing settings to reduce the strain on the monitor (e.g. reduce resolution or refresh rate) to see if it is just that the aging monitor is struggling.

Diemmess 15:44 18 Jan 05

This is more folklore than scientific, though I do think it may be failing circuit to do with the monitor's raster timing.

While watching the screen, ........ try gentle pressure on the video cable with a bit of a slow wiggle at both the computer and of course the monitor. Long years with a severe bend just where the cable plugs in, can cause a break in a conductor, or a loose socket.

Diemmess 17:08 18 Jan 05

I hope you are OK now, what did you discover?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…