Screen Saver will not start

Jonas Berry 18:26 22 Jul 03

The screen saver window shows the screen saver I have chosen. However the 'Apply' button is greyed out, as is the 'wait ? minutes' box. The screen saver works in 'preview' but will not start of its own accord. Any ideas?

spikeychris 19:12 22 Jul 03

What operating system are you running?

obbit 19:37 22 Jul 03

do you need a screen saver?

Jonas Berry 19:48 22 Jul 03

Spikeychris - sri after I'd posted the question I realised I should have mentioned the operating system. Its XP Home Edition.
obbit - I appreciate screensavers aren't essential but its a niggle. I like the operating system to work properly!!

-pops- 19:52 22 Jul 03

Do the standard screen savers as supplied with the O/S function properly?

If yes, then it seems that you are trying to force a screen saver action into something unsuitable.

spikeychris 19:55 22 Jul 03

You could have something running in the background that is preventing this from happening. Go to start and run and type msconfig to see what programs are starting at bootup. You could also click here and scroll down to "Screen Saver Disable or Enable"
Click on the enable option and download the VBS file. It could be that your SS has been disabled by some program you have installed or downloaded.

Jonas Berry 20:53 22 Jul 03

Pops - no the supplied screen savers act in the same way.

spikeychris - nothing untoward appears to be running in the background. Tried the kellys korner VBS file but to no avail. It might be of interest that I used to have WindowBlinds 4 running and then when I right clicked the desktop and clicked on properties nothing happened at all. In addition when I clicked on Display in Control Panel again nothing happened. When I uninstalled WindowBlinds at least Display responded in Control Panel and Properties resulted in the screen for Themes, Screensaver etc. I contacted WBs but got no reply to my query. I had run WindowBlinds from version 1 all through to version 3 and had never any problems. Whether version 4 has caused this glitch with the screen savers I don't know

Islandgirl 13:06 23 Jul 03

Hi there Ive XP Professional and my screen saver will work perfectly if I set it for 14 mins or less, but over this just doesnt work. When it is working stays on no trouble at all. I dont really want it to come on after only 14 mins, but would like it to come on if I leave the puter on and am away for say an hour or so.
I tried it in safe mode and it works OK at 30 40 or more minutes, but wont work in normal running.

spikeychris 16:06 23 Jul 03

Check out the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop double click the desktop folder and see what it says at the side of screensaver.

Check also HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel

spikeychris 16:13 23 Jul 03

click here and download the M$ SS it has been reported to work when others don't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…