screen saver time

zebbydog 16:23 20 Nov 03

win xp pro. I set the screen saver to start after 3 minutes and it is ok but when i leave the computer on a long time and go back to it it is showing desktop again. When i check display screen saver has gone to 180 minutes instead of 3

Any one no why , and how to stop this happening.

Thank you Zebby

igk 16:44 20 Nov 03

Hi Zebby,
Can't say Iv'e heard of this before,the only thing I can think of is if you downloaded the screensaver from the internet did you do a virus check on it? these are notorious for containing viruses (.scr extention)hope this helps.

alcudia 16:50 20 Nov 03

You say you set it to 3 mins. Is it coincidental that 180 mins is 3 hours. Could be something is palying with the clock. I suggest you try another screensaver and see what happens. And as igk says the .scr extension is perfect for viruses.

Jester2K II 16:53 20 Nov 03

What screensaver and where did you get it from?

zebbydog 18:13 21 Nov 03

The screen saver is the windows xp logo and i have tried others but it is still the same.
I have not downloaded any screen savers.

critic-al 18:35 21 Nov 03

Before you make anychanges to registry please back it up.

If you go to START/RUN and type>> gpedit.msc

This will start the Group Policy editor.
Then go to (in order)

LocalComputer Policy-
User Configuration -
Administrative Templates-
Control Panel-
Display

It is here that you can enable and disable the Screensaver and other display settings.

The default location for WinXP screensavers are in both the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and several in the C:\WINDOWS folder.

Enabling the Screensaver (in the Policy Editor) should not only get it running again, but for those of you who have had the Screensaver dropdown list grayed out, it should enable you to choose a Screensaver once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…