Screen saver error

Brenne 12:53 18 Feb 08

I'm still hoping for some help with this problem (posted 8th Feb). I know I should just switch off to save the planet, and I usually do, but in spite of all attempts to re-install the process, my present screensaver consists of a frustrating mobile message saying "An error is preventing this Slide Show from playing". I want it to show a random selection from the My Pictures file as it did until January.

Clapton is God 13:02 18 Feb 08

System Restore?

Brenne 19:49 19 Feb 08

Thanks. Yes, I tried that before, but after your comment, I tried again, just to make sure. I used the oldest restore point I could find (mid Jan) but it made no difference. Either the error occurred before that, or the problem has become entrenched and is not affected by the restore process. So I really need a different approach. Please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 19 Feb 08

Wht program are you using to create the screensaver slideshow?

have you tried to reinstall that program?

Brenne 22:54 20 Feb 08

Thanks for responding Fruitbat.
Using Vista HP,I go to Control Panel, Personalize, Screensaver, Photos and enter my pictures file-name after clicking Settings.
All the other possibilities (e.g. Bubbles) work happily, but using Photos results in that infuriating and unhelpful message. Being a technodumb, I'm not sure how I could reinstall this part of Microsoft's own system without wrecking anything else. Or could I impose a different Slide Show program to perform at this point? Any suggestions gratefully received!

Brenne 20:13 28 Feb 08

For totally unrelated reasons/disasters, I had to perform a complete restart of Vista from scratch, using the disc provided by Evesham. (They, or at least their "saviours", offered no help whatsoever). Now my computer is working perfectly - touch wood or earth - except for one thing: the screensaver set to "photographs" still provides a white text sentence meandering across the black screen saying " An error is preventing this slide show from playing". Any more suggestions please?
Thanks Brenne.

Brenne 20:13 28 Feb 08

For totally unrelated reasons/disasters, I had to perform a complete restart of Vista from scratch, using the disc provided by Evesham. (They, or at least their "saviours", offered no help whatsoever). Now my computer is working perfectly - touch wood or earth - except for one thing: the screensaver set to "photographs" still provides a white text sentence meandering across the black screen saying " An error is preventing this slide show from playing". Any more suggestions please?
Thanks Brenne.

Brenne 20:15 28 Feb 08

Sorry! That's what happens when you get used to double clicking. Brenne

MAT ALAN 20:19 28 Feb 08

The error can be generated by shortcuts to files in the pictures folder that do not point to a valid location, find them and delete them, it may resolve your issue...

Brenne 21:06 28 Feb 08

Your answer arrived less than a minute after the question and solved my problem in a few seconds!
Thank you Mat Alan very much indeed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…