Screen Resolution unstable

folaboss 15:15 15 Mar 08

I gave my old Evesham PC (about 2002/3 vintage)running an XP upgrade from ME to my wife's friend. She didn't want the huge and heavy Mitsubishi Diamond CRT 19" monitor that came with my old kit as she already had a 15" LCD from her old PC. Everything has worked fine for nearly 18 months but now she has a problem. After booting up (resolution 800 x 600)the Desktop screen goes black for about 5 seconds and then comes back but at a 640 x 480 resolution. I've told her how to reset it via Control Panel - Display - Settings and this sorts the problem but only until the next time she boots up when the same thing happens every time. She assures me that she does hit Apply and OK in Settings but the changed resolution will just not hold after switching off. Any ideas, please?

ambra4 00:59 16 Mar 08

Try this setting

Right Click on desktop-Properties-Setting

Set the Screen resolution to 800 X 600 and change the Colour Quality to Medium (16 bit)

If Colour Quality set to 256 colour it will always default to 640 x 480 resolution when the

computer is restarted

ambra4 01:07 16 Mar 08

Also make sure that the LCD monitor refresh rate is set to 60 Hertz

Click the Advanced Button at bottom of display in setting and the Monitor tab

wee eddie 06:59 16 Mar 08

This may is not be the screens Optimal resolution.

In fact my ancient 15" has been running at 1024 by 768 pixels and Highest(32 bit) for the last 6 years or so. Maybe it's worth trying that and see what happens

folaboss 10:47 26 Mar 08

The colour resolution must have, somehow, tripped to 256 colours as it had been working fine for over an year. So the problem is now sorted, thanks very much.

ambra4 11:21 26 Mar 08

Glad to hear all back to normal

Tick box and click solved

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac