A Screen Resolution Too Far

Jester2K II 14:26 29 Sep 03

Got an old Win9x PC where the user has moved the resolution slider too far and now the screen is a scrambled mess.

Isn't there an easy fix for this???

alcudia 14:31 29 Sep 03

I once did this years ago and got no picture at all. Can you not do what I did and fix it in safe mode?

pepe 14:34 29 Sep 03

What about booting into DOS from a floppy, and running scanreg /r to go back to an earlier copy of the registry, might work.

Jester2K II 14:38 29 Sep 03

alcudia - i've looked at it in Safe Mode but maybe i didn't APPLY the changes. I'm sure i did this before too in Safe Mode but does the resolution in Safe Mode reflect the resolution in "normal" mode???
I didn't think they were connected!

alcudia 14:53 29 Sep 03

From memory (We are talking at least five years ago here) I dragged the slider to a resolution that the card would support, but the monitor would not. Starting in safe mode put it at 640 x 480. I dragged it to 800 x 600 and that was reflected back in normal mode. Whether I pressed apply or not I cannot remember.

woodchip 14:59 29 Sep 03

If you can get into safe mode, go into Device Manager and remove the Graphics Adapter and restart your comp it will set it back up

alcudia 15:02 29 Sep 03

Hold it, it's just come back to me. I didn't drag the slider when I lost the picture. I used that old Power Toy. Was it called Quick Res or something. When you clicked on it in the tray you got a choice of resolutions. I just picked the wrong one. However I don't think this would have affected the way I fixed it.

I suppose you have thought of removing the driver in safe mode and re-booting. If it doesn't work, and you don't have them to hand it could be a big problem on an old machine.

alcudia 15:03 29 Sep 03

Sorry Woodchip, didn't realise you were saying the same.

woodchip 15:14 29 Sep 03

PS doing the above does not remove the Drivers from your hard drive. They are still there as is the .inf file that windows reads to setup the Graphics card after you restart but if it does not setup with the right res just come back hear

Jester2K II 15:14 29 Sep 03

alcudia has hit a further snag i was just coming to... I don't know if the drivers are there or not until i see it. I'm just running it through my mind before i go and see it...

Woodchip - i was going to try that but a possible lack of G Driver might be a hinderence... In which case i'll need to pull the PC open and bring it back here to download the driver first...

Jester2K II 15:16 29 Sep 03

Cheers - posted at same time.

I'll try that then "get into safe mode, go into Device Manager and remove the Graphics Adapter and restart your comp it will set it back up "

Not going over til Wednesday anyway but cheers...

Will report back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…