Screen resolution problem

San Alwigi 21:12 19 Sep 08

Hello, I have a Philips Brilliance 15inch flat panel monitor (getting on a bit now), that has always served me well. However, for some reason - not sure why - the screen resolution recently changed to 800x600 - much too large and not what it used to be.

But when I go to display/settings I am only offered two resolution options - 800x600 and 1024x768 (which looks too thin for the screen and blurry and the monitor tells me it cannot support). I can't remember what resolution I used to have on this monitor, but it was perfect. Now I don't have enough choice. I recently updated my ATI Radeon Graphics card drivers by updating ATI Catalyst Control. I'm sure this has got something to do with it, but don't know why!

Help please,

I am Spartacus 21:21 19 Sep 08

I would think that 1024x768 was the resolution setting for the screen.

Assuming you're using XP then go into Control Panel, Advanced, Performance settings and tick the 'smooth edges of screen fonts' option. If that doesn't help then try Clear Type click here

If that also doesn't help then uninstall the ATI drivers you recently installed and install the previous version. You could also try a System Restore to a date before you upadted the drivers.

MAT ALAN 21:52 19 Sep 08

The range of 150 15" monitors only have a max resolution of 1024 x 768 so i would say it is a VGA issue...

San Alwigi 07:56 20 Sep 08

I rolled back the ATI drivers for the graphics card and thge PC screen went VERY low res and told me that the previous drivers were incompatible with Windows XP. So I uninstalled everything to do with ATI completely (drivers, Catalyst Control and Hydravision) and reinstalled. On start up - BINGO - the 1024x786 resolution choice worked perfectly. But only for about 10 minutes. The PC froze when I tried to launch a video on a website. I manually rebooted and on start up the resolution had reverted to 800x600. I am once again offered 1024x786 but the monitor tells me it cannot support that mode. Sigh.
Mat Alan, what do you mean by a VGA problem?

San Alwigi 07:58 20 Sep 08

for some reason my PC won't let me restore (worrying I know) even though the settings are all turned on - but that's a seperate issue....otherwise I would have done so by now.

David4637 16:26 20 Sep 08

You better think about getting Acronis, before disaster strikes? David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now