Screen resolution only allows 16 colours

Snorbens 21:58 27 Oct 03

I connected an old second hand monitor to my PC some weeks ago and it built the driver database and worked fine.

I then decided to check see if I had the best drivers installed for the hardware. When I checked the monitor it told me there was a more recent driver and did I want to install it. Having loaded the new driver the PC re-booted
and lo and behold the windows screen now comes up in black and white (similar to Safe Mode)
and I only have the choice of 2 or 16 colours
in Settings.

Any ideas how I can get the old driver back.
Is there a web site which checks your PC and automatically updates your drivers.

Very much a case of "if it aint broke......."

woodchip 22:10 27 Oct 03

it's not monitor driver you need, you need the Graphics Driver for resolution etc. If you look in Device Manager you will see yellow by the graphics adapter. So check what graphics card is in the computer

MichelleC 22:11 27 Oct 03

There's 2 ways to do it. Either update driver via device manager, checking window's (online) update as navigation. Or finding out what your graphics card maker is and downloading driver from site and then installing. (aida32 benchmarker will tell you, or system properties).

DieSse 22:23 27 Oct 03

Try simply changing your monitor type to an Acer 15p - and see if your settings come back. This is a standard type in windows - you won't need any extra "drivers".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac