screen resolution error message with games

Forum Editor 20:11 01 Jan 06

As many forum members will be aware, what I know about computer games can be written with a magic markeron the head of a pin, so I need your help....

A client has just phoned me to say that he bought his son a new Fujitsu Siemens PC for Christmas. The machine works perfectly, and the son is delighted with it - but for one problem. Every time he tries to play a game he gets what he says is a 'blue' error message on the screen, telling him to adjust the resolution. He's not sure, but he thinks it says he should go to 1024x768, which he says he has done.

The problem is, the message still keeps popping up - the client says it happens every few seconds for about 20 seconds, and then it goes away..........until the next time his son plays a game. Apparently it even happens when he plays the onboard Windows games, like solitaire etc.

Everyone involved (including me) is extremely frustrated by all this, and it's made worse by the fact that the client has gone off to his South of France home (complete with son and computer) for a week or so - I can't get at the machine. Any thoughts from you dedicated gamers would be much appreciated.

Forum Editor 21:52 01 Jan 06

tonight?

VoG II 22:09 01 Jan 06

FE- these are the experts click here

Stuartli 22:31 01 Jan 06

Has trying different colour bit choices and/or refresh rates been attempted.

The List All Modes button will also help with the number of resolution, colour and refresh rates the graphics card is able to support.

Totally-braindead 22:32 01 Jan 06

My thoughts for what they are worth are either a problem with the graphics card drivers, reinstallation or updating may solve it or a DirectX problem, but since you say it does it even with solitaire I can't see it being directX. I would ask him to check the system under control panel for exclamation marks and to try reinstalling the graphics card drivers and see if that helps.

Forum Editor 23:17 01 Jan 06

I'll get the device manager checked for problems tomorrow.

Forum Editor 23:20 01 Jan 06

Yes, we checked all that earlier - all appears OK there.

I'm obviously pretty familiar with Windows settings, but this relates specifically to games - there are no display problems in any other environment. The error message is not a Windows error - it's apparently a plain blue box, which leads me to think that Totally-braindead may be on the right track.

007al 23:46 01 Jan 06

Nvidia or ATI graphics card?

Forum Editor 00:12 02 Jan 06

No idea, but I can find out.

Stuartli 00:15 02 Jan 06

I do appreciate that..:-)

But you gave the impression that you hadn't personally been able to check the system over.

A tricky one it would appear..:-)

007al 00:19 02 Jan 06

I would do the usual...download new drivers...uninstall old,install new.
The driver disc he has could have older drivers on it,that now have a bug fix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017