Screen resolution down to 4bit-Have I a virus ??

WallyD 16:17 17 Feb 07

My screen booted up with poor resolution
A balloon opened on the task bar telling this and click the crossed balloon to rectify this
I did not do this but went to display and my resolution was as should be 800-680 (I think )
BUT this was set to 4BIT and I cant alter it or the res. I,ve never had a virus before,have AVG and COMODO firewall and haven't opened any weird emails. I just booted in VGA which it has done and I,m using this at present.
Any help or clues would be appreciated.
NP; Win XP

bremner 16:24 17 Feb 07

Sounds like a problem with the graphics driver.

Go to device manager and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark against your graphics card.

If there is you will need to reinstall the drivers.

If there is not I would try roling back to the previous driver and see if that helps. If it does not then again reinstall the driver.

WallyD 17:01 17 Feb 07

Sorry for the delay but the machine is driving me nuts
Will do as you suggest
Cheers

WallyD 17:22 17 Feb 07

Did a restore while in VGA mode
Ten minutes later came back and it told me couldn't do a restore and try another date
Machine was back to proper resolution and working fine
(up to now that is )
cheers

palinka 18:20 17 Feb 07

how old is the monitor? late last year I began to have similar problems with my monitor, asked for advice in this forum; but soon after a smell like burning/melting plastic began. I ditched it fast and bought a new one.
Not suggesting you will have same experience, but worth noting any strange smells associated with your pc being on.

birdface 01:32 18 Feb 07

I think its a graphic driver problem as well,But in the meantime go to Control panel.Display. settings. set the screen resolution to 800x600.and color quality to 16bit. or 32 bit,Apply . ok.

acxxxx 02:28 18 Feb 07

Glad your screen resolution problem is solved - but you may want to look at the fact that you couldn't do a system restore

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…