screen resolution - distorted display

eddiejackr 20:04 22 Nov 06

I can't remember why I was mucking around but I altered the screen resolution on the kids pc and i can't get back to the resolution i want. I'm stuck with tiny or massive icons. if i choose the original resolution i get an hour glass shaped window showing whole desktop in tiny icons on a plain background. the hourglass is about one quarter of the whole screen in size. I'm sure it's simple but what do i do to get back to normal?

Jackcoms 20:29 22 Nov 06

Control Panel; Appearance and Themes; Display.

Under Appearance set font size to 'Normal'.

Under Settings adjust the Screen Resolution to suit.

birdface 22:06 22 Nov 06

Hi, I am on Xp Home edition,On mine it is, Control panel,Display,Settings,Advanced, Dpi Settings ,Set to Normal. Mine set at 96dpi.Which is normal.

eddiejackr 13:11 23 Nov 06

thanks - but no luck so far. The OS is Windows me....in appearance i have no option for choosing normal - only Windows standard etc.
In settings advanced general i get choice of small font large font or other so i have tried 100% of normal in other (as it showed normal as 96dpi - but no luck.
I have colour options 16, 256, high 16bit and true 24 bit.
it is resolution of 800x600 that i'm trying to get back to and it is only in this resolution that the display goes pear shaped - literally!
Any further ideas? Thanks for help

Diemmess 16:01 23 Nov 06

It sounds as though the Display drivers are corrupted.

Can you find the original CD if the video is integrated with the motherboard, or the CD that came with the video card if separate.

Either way, go to control panel > system > Device manager > display and remove or delete the drivers. (You might get away with Update drivers.)

Reboot and as the desktop develops put the appropriate CD in the slot and run install video drivers.

Once this is done you can right click on desktop and choose the advanced settings as you wanted to do before.

birdface 16:13 23 Nov 06

800x600 if you have that, Slider should be all the way left,Colour quality either 16 bit or 32 bit,Thats what i have , And have normal size picture,

JoE. 20:08 12 Dec 06

It might be on your monitors menu (i.e pressing a button on the front of your monitor) There might be a sub-menu on that to fix it?

JoE :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…