Screen Resolution changes every time I reboot

nikkihayes 14:15 14 Jun 09

Up until a few weeks ago my screen resolution was happily set at 1280 x 1024. Then something changed and now every time I reboot the computer the resolution reverts to 640 x 480. As soon as the desktop has loaded I can then call up Properties and change the resolution back but I have no idea why this is happening. I did look for a system restore point but did not have a suitable one available so any help with this problem would be much appreciated. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 on a 900 Mhz Celeron with 256 Mb RAM on a 17" tft monitor.

Saetana 12:47 15 Jun 09

All devices are working normally according to device manager - I had already checked that but did check again just to be sure. This did happen not long after an optimising session but this may be coincidence as I went back and checked what I did and none of it had anything to do with display properties.

Bob The Blob 12:54 15 Jun 09

If using Nvidia graphics, have you updated your drivers recently? This is a known bug in the latest release.

birdface 12:55 15 Jun 09

Maybe up-date the driver or roll back the driver or delete the driver and when you reboot it should automatically find a new driver for it. Or find out what graphics card you have and try and find an update for it on the Internet.
But better waiting until others can give you more information.

T I M B O 12:59 15 Jun 09

following on from the conversation To stop the theme for changing automatically

click on Start

click on run

in the run box type in, regedit and click ok

on this screen click on the plus next to each of theese items;

HKEY_USERS
Software
Microsoft
Windows
Currentversion
ThemeManager

then on the right hand side double click on ThemeActive

change the value from 1 to 0 and click ok and then restart the computer and this should be ok from here.

Saetana 12:27 16 Jun 09

I tried the registry edit but unfortunately no joy. As regards graphics card, I have onboard graphics: Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/Promedia and I cannot find any drivers more recent than 2001 for it. I have had this same most recent driver for several years so there have been no changes there. I am totally stumped by this - and this is the second forum I have tried, Microsoft forum did not produce any replies at all! If anyone has any more suggestions I can try it would be much appreciated - as I said, I change the resolution back to 1280 x 1024 when the desktop loads but it is a real pain having to do this everytime I switch the computer on. Is it worth me writing to the help section of the magazine direct?

Bob The Blob 16:39 16 Jun 09

Sounds like some program is starting up with Windows and changing your resolution. If you can identify it (try msconfig), uninstall it.

Sea Urchin 17:46 16 Jun 09

Does anyone else find it confusing when the OP's name changes halfway through a thread?

birdface 19:55 16 Jun 09

I do it myself occasionally so I can't complain.Sometimes I use Firefox and forget that I sign in there with a different username.Just an age thing i suppose.

Saetana 11:46 17 Jun 09

Oops! I hadn't realised I'd changed my username AFTER posting the initial thread, I thought I'd done it beforehand. Just to clear up any confusion, nikkihayes and Saetana are the same person, lol. Bob - I think you may be onto something there but the problem is identifying the program, I have several svhost.exe processes running, for example and I only know for definite what a few of the more logically named processes are. Anyone know what kind of program might do that? Only thing I know of which changes resolution regularly are many of my games but none of these load on startup as far as I know.

T0SH 12:25 17 Jun 09

Have you tried doing a windows system restore back to a date when your PC was working normally ?

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced