Screen Resolution Change

THE OLDEST SWINGER IN TOWN 20:56 16 Oct 05

I have been running Xp for 2 years. Recently, the reslution changes down to a low value, resulting in a smeared picture. Sometimes, I can change the resolution back to 1024x 750 or some reasonable figure; sometime the slider will not allow changing. Sometime the pc boots up with a normal screen resolution.
The problem is, after a change of user account or a complete reboot, the same scenario is repeated. It is as if the settings are not being stored statically.
Any advice? Is it time for reinstalling xp, given that so many downloads have taken place in 27 months?

VoG II 21:04 16 Oct 05

Try updating the drivers for your graphics card.

Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager button. Click On Display Adaptors, Right click it, Update Drivers (when connected to the internet).

THE OLDEST SWINGER IN TOWN 21:53 16 Oct 05

Vog,

I was looking on the internet for a free download for my graphics adaptor :
NVIDIA Geforce2 mx/mx 400, but it looks as if this is not so easy.

Do yo think that the installed driver software has been corrupted , or what is the reason for it to start working intermitently?

DieSse 22:43 16 Oct 05

click here The driver page on the nvidia site.

Totally-braindead 23:37 16 Oct 05

It could be a corrupted driver, it may also be something is going on the graphics card or something else may be causing it, its impossible to tell at the moment, try the driver first, if you're not on broadband its a fairly hefty download, try reinstalling the driver you originally got with your graphics card and see if that helps.

THE OLDEST SWINGER IN TOWN 23:40 16 Oct 05

Vog,
By deleting the old driver and installing teh newer one and rebooting, it seems to have worked.

I will try rebooting and swapping users tomorrow and see.

Thanks very much.

Chegs ® 00:21 17 Oct 05

This happens frequently with my PC and its NVidia driver.I started getting it with the latest MS Updates supplied driver.I tried a newer driver from NVidia site,only after a reboot the refresh rate was set so high I couldn't see anything on my monitor.I returned to NVidia 53.03,as this driver has always been my most reliable driver,and (so far)had no further troubles of this nature.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…