screen resolution

chippy+ 18:44 19 Mar 10

hi i have an older pc which i keep for my 7 year old grandson's games the pc shares the monitor with another pc switching back and forth with a klm switch when i change to my grandsons pc the screen adjusts to the resolution of that particular game when he has finished the screen icons are all mixed up i have saved the position of the icons before he starts but they dont return when i click the restore any ideas Chippy

northumbria61 20:06 19 Mar 10

Hi there,have you tried this?Right click an empty space on your desktop,highlight desktop icons,place a check on 'lock icons in place' and uncheck'auto arrange,?

northumbria61 20:06 19 Mar 10

Hi there,have you tried this?Right click an empty space on your desktop,highlight desktop icons,place a check on 'lock icons in place' and uncheck'auto arrange,?

It sounds like the problem is being caused by the games running at a lower resolution than the desktop, hence when the game is exited, in the brief time that the resolution reverts back to the higher one, Windows is readjusting your icons to fit within the smaller desktop space.

Not the ideal solution I know, but I would try and see if you can increase the resolution in which the games are being played to match that of your Windows desktop (usually in the settings -> video / graphics section of the game). This will avoid the need for Windows to alternate between 2 resolutions.

DieSse 11:32 20 Mar 10

I used Iconoid when I had to sometimes connect a projector and change resolutions. Works perfectly - saves and restores icon positions for different resolutions. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009