Screen resolution

Young Ranger 11:28 09 Mar 05

I have just formatted a PC an re-installed Win 98 SE. The maximum screen resolution is only 16 colours and the resolution cannot be increased from 640 x 480 pixels.

I have downloaded and installed a new driver for the Alpfa Scan 411 monitor but that has had no effect. Is it possible to improve on the above.

NB the pc is not connected to the internet and only has a floppy drive.

Gongoozler 11:38 09 Mar 05

Hi Young Ranger. It's not the monitor driver, but the graphics driver that needs to be installed. If you can tell us what your graphics card is, we'll see if we can help you find the driver.

Young Ranger 11:46 09 Mar 05

Under dispaly adapters it just says "Standard PCI graphics adapter (VGA)

The only name on the PC case is "Creative". (It's not my PC.)

Gongoozler 11:54 09 Mar 05

Hi Young Ranger. Standard PCI graphics adapter (VGA) is your problem. That is the default driver that Windows puts there until it gets the proper one. For future reference, before formatting and reinstalling Windows I always like to run Belarc Advisor click here and print a copy. Then I have a print out of all the hardware and software, because otherwise I always forget something such as what the graphics card or modem is. Your best chance now is to open the case, take the graphics card out and see what is written on it. If you're lucky there will be a label telling you exactly what the card is. If there isn't then see if you can find the main graphics chip, probably the biggest one, and report back here what is written on it.

FelixTCat 11:55 09 Mar 05

Unfortunately, Windows only tells you what drivers have been loaded.

Go to click here and download the Home Edition. Install and run it. It will tell you what all your hardware is.

Click on the + sign next to Display and then on PCI/AGP Video.

This will tell you the type of video adapter you have. Either go to the manufacturer's site and download the driver or come back here with the answer.

Young Ranger 12:51 09 Mar 05

Thanks guys

I do use Belarc but couldn't run it before foramtting because of the problems with the PC which could not run anything without crashing. I have downloaded the Everest programme and run it. This tells me that it is SiS 86C326.

I did a quick google but I haven't found anything that looks suitable. Any sugestions?

Diodorus Siculus 13:10 09 Mar 05

SiS Corporation 86c326 driver - SiS Corporation Sound Card Drivers - Win98.txt
click here

Seems to think it is a sound card?

Diodorus Siculus 13:13 09 Mar 05

It might be worth opening the PC and see what is on the graphics card.

Or if it is onboard, see what the motherboard is.

Young Ranger 14:05 09 Mar 05

Tried SiS Corporation 86c326 driver - SiS Corporation Sound Card Drivers - Win98.txt but I think it is a sound card driver. The graphics are on board and the mother board is PCChips m570 manufactured by Elitegroup computers. Again I have done a search but still cannot find anything that appears to be suitable.

Gongoozler 14:37 09 Mar 05

I'm not at all certain, but th egraphics could be SiS 6326. Have a try of this one click here

Gongoozler 15:07 09 Mar 05

--- and if I'm wrong, have a look at the motherboard to see if there is a chip with a number something like that one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…