screen resolution

pookie 20:32 22 Feb 04

hi - i have a 17 inch monitor which i run at 1024x768. I find anything bigger eg 1280x1024 is too small and hard on eye. can i run desktop at 1024x768 but games at 1280x1024 or would this damage the monitor ie running games at a larger resolution than the desktop is set for. i've checked and my monitor will run high resolutions and refresh rates.

many thanks

P

Djohn 20:52 22 Feb 04

Hi pookie, No harm whatsoever. If you set your graphic card to "Optimal" rather than a fixed resolution it will change automatically for you to suite each situation. j.

pookie 21:41 22 Feb 04

hi and thanks for reply - me being completely thick here - where do i set it to optimal? the only optimal i can see in graphic card options are for optimal performance or optimal quality (ati 9700pro)

P

Paranoid Android 22:14 22 Feb 04

Not all monitors have an Optimal setting, it depends what driver you are using. If you have one it will be in Display Properties - Settings - Advanced - Monitor. All this does is sets the refresh rate, not the actual screen size. As long as you are over 70 Hz you should be fine.

Marvin

pookie 09:12 23 Feb 04

many thanks

P

Djohn 13:34 23 Feb 04

Hi pookie. Paranoid Android is of course correct. I've been working with a TFT and forgot that important bit.

Setting your graphic card to optimal will look after your refresh rate for you automatically.

To set your resolution [So that the game fits the screen].

Once you have loaded your game adjust the display to suite and when you go back to your windows program it will re-adjust itself to your current settings. From then on you can switch between windows and your games without having to manually make any changes to your display. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5