screen problem

thedoll 12:12 10 Oct 04

hi guys,for some unknown reason a black boarder about 1" wide has appeared on my pc screen.i have tried everything to get the screen back to its normal size but without sucess.so still being a newbie where pc's are concerned im not shy about asking on here if there is an answer to this.thanks in advance for your help

Diemmess 12:45 10 Oct 04

Is the monitor a CRT or TFT type?
Is it all brand new or somewhat second hand?

If it is a CRT the tube may be fading away or perhaps accidentally reset from the best display result. You can usually play with the settings with the buttons on the front of the monitor.

If it is TFT it may be that you are not setting it to its "native resolution".
Also the "display driver" may have been corrupted or removed so all you have is the default one from Windows.

If you recognise any of these things and can tell us a bit more about your computer, then someone is bound to come up with your answer.

Dorsai 12:54 10 Oct 04

3 things spring to mind.

Has your screen resolution been changed recently? If so, the monitor settings may never have been set for this resolution, hence the border. check your screen resolution. 800 x 600, or 1024 x 768 i would guess, but.

your monitor may have lost it's settings. there should be a few butons in the front to give access to a setup menu. As i don't know what monitor you have, i can not make any suggestion as to how to go about re-setting the monitor up. one may well be labeled 'menu' though.

some graphics card software comes with the ability to change the screen size and position, but again not knowing what card you have, can only suggest right click on the desk-top, select properties, settings tab, advanced button. then checkout all the tabs you get. One may give you the ability to adjust the screen settings.

Post back if no joy.

thedoll 18:48 10 Oct 04

thanks a bunch guys.fiddled around with a few off your suggestions and found the answer.the buttons on the front of the monitor did the trick.as i said before im a newbie to all things pc and if i dont ask questions i will never learn.once again thanks a lot from someone who learned a little more today due to the help of others

Dorsai 19:47 10 Oct 04

Glad to have helped. Happy computing. cheery-Bye till next tiem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…